The Brick Presbyterian Church is a striking piece of New York architecture that has a long-standing role in American History, spanning over two centuries. Since first opening its doors to parishioners in 1767, the church has been in continuous operation with the only exception being several years during the American Revolutionary War. During this time, the church was commandeered by British forces and used as both a hospital and a brig. Since then, the church has undergone a number of changes, including two relocations, mostly to follow the general direction of the church’s attendees. The Brick Church’s current home consists of four main buildings (the sanctuary, chapel, and the old and new parish houses) and has incorporated elements of the earlier buildings, such as the weather vane and clock bell.
HOW WE HELPED
NY Engineers provided professional mechanical engineering services to the church in an effort to preserve its contribution to New York City history.