Operating from 1892 until 1954, Ellis Island was the nation’s busiest immigrant inspection station, processing an estimated 12 million people during its 62 years of service, and today nearly one third of Americans can trace their ancestry back to the island. Although the island has since then served many uses, it eventually fell into a state of disrepair; it was not until the island was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in October of 1966 that restoration of the buildings began.
HOW WE HELPED ELLIS ISLAND CAFÉ
The main building that once served as a portal to America reopened in 1990 and now houses an immigration museum, commemorating all of those who once passed through its walls. New York Engineers provided fire alarm upgrades in the Café.