Utility Filing

How It Works?


Step 1

You send us architectural floor plan and utility type


Step 2

We check the details sent and initiate the process


Step 3

Request for a new utility to your building is submitted to the utility company.

Get In Touch

Get in touch -  212-575-5300

Utility Filing: Electrical, Gas and Water

  • Shortest turnaround time of 2 weeks
  • First time approval
Need help or additional information?
Give us a call on
(786) 788-0295

New Utility Filing: Electrical, Gas and Water


All of our designs are specifically made to ensure that we’re providing you unique outputs.


assure you that all of our MEP designs are made to produce long-lasting outputs.

High Efficiency

To save resources, we make sure that all outputs produced from our designs are efficient.

Looking for New Utility Filing?

Contact Us →

New Utility Filing: Electrical, Gas and Water

Buildings rely on mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems to conserve suitable indoor conditions for humans. There are also building systems that provide safety, such as automatic sprinklers, fire alarms and emergency lights. However, all these components rely on external inputs to operate. Consider the following examples:

  • Lighting fixtures, air conditioners, fans and all devices with motors need a power supply. Computers, TVs, gaming consoles and smartphone chargers also depend on an electricity supply with a stable voltage.
  • Space heating systems and water heaters use a combination of electricity and fossil fuels, or only electricity, depending on how they are designed.
  • Plumbing fixtures and many fire protection systems depend on a water supply. In the case of plumbing fixtures, a sewer connection is also needed for their discharge.

Energy and water services are normally provided by utility companies, which may be privately owned or public owned depending on where you live. When utilities are privately owned, they are subject to strict regulation to ensure fair pricing. Before connecting a new construction or renovating an existing building, the project must be properly filed and approved with local utility companies. Since buildings share energy and water distribution systems, utility companies have mandatory requirements for all customers.

Before starting a new construction, make sure your MEP systems save as much water and energy as possible. This greatly reduces operating costs in the long run, while mitigating the environmental impact of the building.

Importance of Utility Companies

In theory, you can design a building that produces its own energy while gathering its own water. However, this normally requires plenty of space. For example, a building that uses only solar power and rainwater collection needs a very large area to gather enough sunlight and rainwater. This is unlikely in urban settings, and even buildings that use these measures must still get part of their energy and water from local utilities.

Local building codes and utility filing procedures can be challenging, especially when you are developing your first project in a new location. However, by working with professional engineers who are experienced with local procedures, you can get your design and utility connections approved without delays.

In most New York City buildings, electricity is provided by Consolidated Edison Inc (Con Edison) and water is provided by the NYC Department of Environmental Protection (NYC DEP). Depending on where a building is located, natural gas will be provided by either National Grid or Con Edison. At we have experience with utility filings throughout the US, and also internationally.

Electric Service Utility Filing

Power grids are among the most efficient energy distribution systems developed by mankind. Thanks to them, electricity can be delivered with minimal losses and almost instantly from power stations to individual buildings. However, the ability to deliver large amounts of energy can also make electrical systems dangerous.

Before connecting a building to the power grid, electrical engineers must design an installation that operates safely. A major electrical fault can leave not only the affected building without power, but also neighboring properties. Before allowing a new connection or changes to an existing connection, electric utility companies must ensure that no risks are being created.

Power companies normally have additional requirements for buildings with solar panels, wind turbines or other devices that produce electricity. While these systems reduce electricity bills for building owners, they can also feed power into the grid when they have surplus production. Utility companies normally require a disconnection device in these cases, to interrupt the power input if needed.

  • For example, if a power line is disconnected for maintenance, the utility company must ensure that no customers are injecting electricity.
  • If power inputs from customers are not controlled, the maintenance personnel may be exposed to electric shock.

When filing an electric connection with your local power company, you will normally be asked for an electric load letter. This is required not only for new connections, but also for additions to an existing service.

In NYC, Con Edison requires filing for any new service, addition or alteration. The filing procedure can be started online with the Energy Services Project Center, but only a licensed contractor can create the work request. Any excavations must be notified to Con Edison for approval, 2 to 10 days in advance. If any overhead power lines are present, the electrical contractor cannot start working under any circumstances, until Con Edison indicates it is safe to proceed. Additional requirements like these may apply depending on the specific features of each project.

Standard service layouts are provided as reference for 1-3 family homes, and also for commercial buildings. Customers who get both electricity and gas from Con Edison must use a common trench for both services.

Within one week after submitting the project, Con Edison will send the email address and contact number of an assigned representative. You will also receive an Acknowledgement Letter and Case Number, and a preliminary meeting may be requested. Remote customer service from Con Edison is available 24/7 and 365 days a year.

Con Edison determines the point of entry (POE) when filing an electric connection. You can request a preferred POE for an extra cost, and subject to approval by Con Edison. An inspection is conducted once the installation is completed, and the power meter is installed after approval. Electric mains are not installed until the water and sewer mains are in place, and any sidewalk installations must wait until the electric service is ready.

Con Edison will review aspects like the presence of generation systems, equipment sizing, usage of approved equipment, electric motors, grounding and capacitors. To make sure your installations are compliant, the best recommendation is working with a qualified engineering firm.

Looking for New Utility Filing?

Contact Us →

Natural Gas Service Utility Filing

Many fossil fuels and biofuels can be used for heating, but natural gas has the advantage of being delivered as a utility service. Other fuels like heating oil must be delivered by truck and stored on site, while natural gas is readily available from mains. Extreme weather and other emergency conditions can complicate oil deliveries, but the robust gas distribution system will continue operating in most cases.

Natural gas can also be used as a power source, by installing gas-fired generators in buildings. Diesel gensets are widely used, but diesel has the same limitation as heating oil - depending on scheduled deliveries. When a building is left without electric power, it can use the gas supply to drive a generator.

The natural gas requirements of buildings are determined from the equipment used: gas ranges, water heaters, boilers, furnaces, natural gas generators, etc. In addition to being more reliable than diesel and heating oil during emergencies, natural gas also has lower emissions per BTU of heat. However, since natural gas is flammable, there are stringent requirements for a new connection, and only a licensed plumbing contractor has authorization to do the job.

Buildings in NYC normally get their natural gas service from Con Edison or National Grid, depending on their location. Con Edison customers have the convenience of dealing with the same provider for electricity and natural gas. Actually, the filing procedure for gas and electric power is very similar:

  • The Energy Services Project Center can also be used to create a work request for a natural gas service connection.
  • Filing is required for new gas connections, additions and alterations.

Before starting the procedure, customers should check the availability of natural gas at their location. In some cases there is not enough capacity for a specific building, and the local gas piping must be modified at the customer’s expense.

  • Natural gas service connections up to 880 CFH are approved more easily.
  • However, gas connections above 880 CFH are sent to the engineering department for further analysis and approval.
  • Like with electrical service connections, the point of entry (POE) is determined by Con Edison, and a preferred POE has an extra cost.

Gas meters for 1-3 family dwellings are installed outdoors. Dwellings with 4+ units, commercial buildings and mixed-use buildings also have their gas meters outdoors, but waivers are available in some cases. Consumers must meet physical protection requirements for outdoor meters, and any excavation must be notified and approved 2 to 10 days in advance.

Building owners who get natural gas from National Grid can also file new connections, additions and alterations online. Consumers must check the availability of natural gas at their location, to determine if extra work is needed. National Grid will provide up to 100 feet of main if there is no gas line in front of the property, and up to 100 feet of service connection from the street to the meter. If any additional work is required, the cost is assumed by the client.

If your building uses heating oil and you are planning a natural gas conversion, National Grid has an online form to simplify the process. A professional assessment by a qualified engineering firm is recommended, to determine which of your equipment and components must be upgraded to use natural gas. If you must remove an old oil tank, make sure you follow all regulations from local authorities.

Utility Filing : Water

A clean water supply is fundamental to make indoor environments habitable, and the water service must be complemented with a reliable sewer system. Water consumption also influences energy consumption in buildings, since more water consumption leads to higher heating and pumping costs. Water and sewer systems must be designed to stay operational during emergencies, especially when the population must stay indoors for long periods.

Water companies establish their own requirements, and these vary depending on the type of project: new service connection, addition or alteration.

  • Some common requirements are a plumbing fixture count of your entire property, a plumbing riser diagram, and a site plan approved by the local building department.
  • A letter of consent and/or a notarized affidavit from the building owner may also be required in some cases

Depending on the type of building, a backflow preventer device may be required by the local water company. Normally, the pressure of the local water supply is high enough to prevent backflow. However, if system pressure drops due to high demand or technical issues, contaminated water from buildings may be pulled into the drinking water supply. However, this can be avoided by installing a backflow preventer.

In New York City, water and sewer services are managed by the NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). As of 2020, the NYC DEP delivers over 1.1 billion gallons of water each day, serving more than 9 million people.

The Water and Sewer Permitting System (WSPS) from the NYC DEP allows electronic filing for water and sewer service connections. However, only a Licensed Master Plumber (LMP) can get a project approved.

  • In buildings where a backflow preventer device is mandatory, you must get a backflow prevention plan from a Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA).
  • Backflow preventers must be tested by a New York State certified tester, initially and then every 12 months. The test form must be signed by the LMP, and the engineer or architect who submitted the plan.
  • In cases where a backflow preventer is not needed, you must submit an exemption letter.

In general, you need approval from the NYC DEP for all work related with water and sewer connections. The only exception is for emergency repairs that can be completed with an emergency permit from the NYC Department of Transportation (DOT). Also, domestic service connections with a size up to 2” can be self-certified by a Licensed Master Plumber, without a direct inspection from the NYC DEP.

Some projects may require additional information before sizing the water service. The NYC DEP can conduct a hydrant flow test if necessary, to determine if the pressure and flow are adequate in a given location. Project owners can also ask for records like sewer drainage plans, sewer maps and as-built drawings.

Looking for New Utility Filing?

Contact Us →